Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Mama Jeanett and family

Getting to Bolivia, I was mighty nervous about so many things- the city, the people, my accommodation, the work, my fellow volunteers. Pretty much every thing you can think of- I was anxious. After all, I was going across the world, to a continent that spoke a language of which I did not know a word and to do something very different from what I am used to. 

I have to and always will credit Jeanett for whatever Spanish I now know because she spoke no English and I no Spanish- it was the perfect set up not just for situational comedy but also two way learning. In the initial weeks we communicated with hand signals, as if our lives were a giant game of Charades and she was so amazingly patient with me, my attempts at understanding and speaking Spanish and always such an absolutely wonderful mama.


All credit to Mama Cecilia (Lima) and Mama Ivonne (Cusco), but Mama Jeanett was absolutely the most amazing mama's yet. She is strong, independent, hard working, absolutely caring and always went out of her way to make us feel like it was our home. She always woke up early to make sure we had everything for breakfast, always made us the most amazing Sunday lunches and was around any time we needed her for anything. 


Her daughter and son in law were absolutely wonderful too. Carolina spoke English and so was sometimes the perfect interpretor. Alejandro was always polite and soft spoken and very nice whenever we had the opportunity to spend time with him. Of course, when reminiscing about Cocha, how can I fail to mention the fabulous Muneca, the loco but sweet dog who never failed to worry, amuse and scare me.

Thank you so much for everything Mama Jeanett, Carolina and Alejandro- I hope we meet soon.










No comments:

Post a Comment